Our purpose at Vodafone is to connect for a better future. As a Global Communications Technology company, we put the customer at the heart of everything we do. We are passionate about pushing boundaries and discovering innovative ways to connect our customers with their digital societies. We connect people, businesses, and communities across the globe to create the future. We earn customer loyalty, experiment, learn fast and get it done, together. Join our journey as we connect for a better future.
6G researcher - telecom AI (m/f/d)
The Vodafone Tech Innovation Center Dresden is Vodafone’s new global center for innovation and co-creation with other top tech world-wide companies, universities and research institutes. The scope of this new hub is to improve peoples' lives by innovating communications and empower businesses for a digital and sustainable future. We use newest technologies such as 5G, 6G, Augmented Reality, Artificial Intelligence, Data Analytics and Security by Design in order to build new products and propositions for health, industry, transport, automotive, agriculture and many more. Dresden is a dynamically growing high tech region in the heart of Europe with a strong industrial focus, excellent research landscape. At the same time Dresden is a great place to live with manifold culture, unspoiled nature and an international and family friendly environment. The ideal spot for creativity and innovation.
What will you be doing:
• You will participate in the publicly funded Project ANNA, which has the overarching goal to develop a 6G holistic approach for next generation mobile radio systems.
• You will be responsible for contributing to Project ANNA in particular work packages focussing on a number of key aspects like identifying system requirements and implications on 6G architectures, use of and further development of Open-RAN concepts, and application of Artificial Intelligence (AI), Machine Learning (ML) and Machine Reasoning (MR) for purposes like higher degree of network automation, better fault management and prevention, optimal resource allocation, dynamic creation of ad-hoc subnetworks, improved network resilience, robustness and optimal energy management. A strong focus will be on 6G technologies for private and industrial networks.
• You will collaborate closely with project partners from universities, leading technology vendors, and teams across the Vodafone Group who are working to deliver new enterprise services.
• You will focus on developing network solutions based on customer demands in close exchange with relevant stakeholders from Vodafone Group Technology, Vodafone Business, Vodafone Germany and external stakeholders.
Core competencies, knowledge and experience:
• MSc or PhD level degree in Telecommunications, Computer Science, Engineering, Data Science with experience in the telecommunications sector.
• Experience in collaboratively conducting applied research with international partners.
• Research experience in the following areas: RAN and/or Core Networks, virtualised networks, end-to-end mobile network architectures, Open RAN architecture, orchestration, and life-cycle management, application of machine learning and AI in telecoms networks.
• At least basic knowledge of 3GPP standards.
• Good understanding of the state-of-the-art communications- and networking-related AI research.
• Familiarity with machine learning and/or machine reasoning applied to telco networks, and aspects like ML for network load prediction, service assurance, anomaly detection, resource allocation etc.
• Familiarity with development and validation of Machine Learning algorithms for different use cases.
• Expertise with Machine Learning libraries such as PyTorch, TensorFlow.
• Experience in software development using Python.
• Extensive experience in generating publications, white papers, IPRs, and/or software demonstrations.
• Critical thinking, results-orientation, problem solving and can-do attitude.
• Resourcefulness, self-reliance, pro-activeness, with ability to successfully network, win the trust of collaboration partners and leverage teamwork.
• Flexibility and willingness to go above and beyond current situations to meet dynamic and changing project requirements.
• Willingness to expand expertise beyond current dominant area into new adjacent areas.
• Commercial awareness, ability to see the broader context and understanding of the mobile industry and its customers.
• Languages: Fluency (written and verbal) in both German and English is essential.
Key accountabilities and decision ownership:
• Participating in and contributing research to specific work packages in Project ANNA, technically reporting to the work package lead and project coordinator. Proactively reaching out and seeking the collaboration with researchers from other project members and from experts inside Vodafone. Documenting project results, writing project reports and communicating achievements and proposals to external stakeholders.
• Leading their own tasks within the collaborative project(s) and forming technical contributions to a high standard. Delivering research results with clear focus on 6G-related requirements to be derived from new application scenarios and use cases, on system architectures and specifically the use of AI to support those requirements, to drive e.g., the level of automation, system autonomy, quality of service, robustness and energy efficiency. In addition, expanding the research to longer-term evolution of Open-RAN. Above research shall be applied with a focus on private networks.
• Contributing and providing guidance to other related collaborative projects being undertaken within the Dresden Innovation Centre based on growing expertise in Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning.
• Providing contributions to Vodafone networks and AI teams, and to external organisations in which standards and working practices related to 6G, Open-RAN and industrial networks are getting defined.
• Supporting the technical lead in the presentation of results internally and externally to stakeholders.
Key performance indicators:
• Performance as task lead according to funded project expectations under guidance from Technical Manager.
• Research impact of project contributions with partners, and externally.
• Ability to demonstrate technical leadership in the specific domain(s) of project contribution and gain reputation.
What’s in it for you?
- Full Flex Office - opportunity to carry out your work, in agreement with your line manager, up to 75% at a suitable location of preference in Germany, and up to 20 working days per year from other EU countries
- Additional benefits of Full Flex Office: Refund of major part of the costs for your Vodafone fixed network and internet connection and provision of equipment, e.g., a monitor for your home office
- Monthly discount on Vodafone mobile phone contracts
- Vodafone family and friends discount
- Access to our internal learning platform and LinkedIn Learning
- 30 days holiday and holiday plus - option to buy additional 10 days
- Generous global parental leave policy
- Access to online sport courses
- Car and bike leasing options
- Attractive salary and a modern company pension, financed by Vodafone
Together we can